Walleye Leadcore with Deep Divers

By now, most of us have knowledge of some decent estimators for the running depths of various lure setups (like the Precision Trolling data- and/or other dive charts etc). Use of this information can be critical to presenting your bait of choice in the strike zone. Right now I am only invested into a few 5 color lead core rigs and a ten color (as I've heard that the 5 color seems to get used the most with success). I've got dipsey's, snap weights, bottom bouncers, jet divers & riggers bla bla bla.... but I am wondering if anyone has come across a fairly reliable method to estimate the lure depth if you put on a deep diving plug, say onto a leadcore rig? we have a pretty good idea where say a shallow Renosky is running when added to a 5 color. But what if your graph is showing some good marks a little deeper? can you look up the dive curve for your deep diving plug and simply add that to where a 5 color should run? i'm sure its probably not that simple. I am just considering other "depth" options instead of spending more money on more lead core, rods/reels etc. anyone with experience running deep diving plugs on leadcore, please chime in.

thanks

• Like 2

In the central basin of Erie, we run stainless wire. Dive curve is 1' for every 10' of wire out plus your crank dive chart.

We break this out come August (about now) when the thermocline sets up and the fish go deep. It's common to run 300' of wire with a Rapala DHJ-12 which dives 19' on its own to get 49' down.

You can usually add 300' of 12 lbs wire on a fully calibrated 47 size reel.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

In the central basin of Erie, we run stainless wire. Dive curve is 1' for every 10' of wire out plus your crank dive chart.

We break this out come August (about now) when the thermocline sets up and the fish go deep. It's common to run 300' of wire with a Rapala DHJ-12 which dives 19' on its own to get 49' down.

What fun do you get when you battle a 21 inch walleye with wire, lead core, dipseys. The only way to go is bottom bouncing or jigging . I like to feel my fish at the end of line not dragging a shoe

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

What fun do you get when you battle a 21 inch walleye with wire, lead core, dipseys. The only way to go is bottom bouncing or jigging . I like to feel my fish at the end of line not dragging a shoe

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App
We catch the big walleye on wire! And walleye aren't known to be great fighters, just great eaters!!!

• Like 2

Misdirection- I have also been curious about the stainless, as I 've heard guys like to run that in the Central basin. Can you offer what the advantages may be over leadcore setups?

Fishmaster- thanks for the reply. I do know the RR 800's do catch fish. but I get tired of always re-tuning the damn things! I've recently switched over to a sweet selection of deep diving Bandits, which never require tuning. I also found an "Artist" in Iowa that does custom paint work. Awesome work!!!

Wojo... to each his own...right? I also prefer jigging and/or casting for eyes myself (which tends to be more seasonal for me- jigging in the spring & casting sticks at night in the fall). If trolling in the summertime puts fillets in the freezer, then guess what I will be doing

Misdirection- I have also been curious about the stainless, as I 've heard guys like to run that in the Central basin. Can you offer what the advantages may be over leadcore setups?

Fishmaster- thanks for the reply. I do know the RR 800's do catch fish. but I get tired of always re-tuning the damn things! I've recently switched over to a sweet selection of deep diving Bandits, which never require tuning. I also found an "Artist" in Iowa that does custom paint work. Awesome work!!!
To quote a charter captain out of Ashtabula regarding wire, "that sh!t just catches fish"!

I don't have much experience with leadcore (did try it for one season).

With wire, we are getting our lures far from the boat (up to 150' out on the planer tow line and 300' back to the crank). Those big fish didn't get big by getting caught. They seem shy of the boat.

Two popular lengths with wire are 180' and 300'. Probably with 20' diving cranks your getting just below the first thermocline and just above the second one out where we fish.

Another thing we do is switch out the cranks. I personally like Rapala DHJ-12's, but also like the Yozuri 4 3/8 deep diving for faster speeds. It's a salt water lure, but we've rolled it was fast as 3.5 knots on wire and they just rip it off the tow line.

The downside to wire is if your running alot of lines, an autopilot is recommended, or at least a really good driver. Tangles just suck!

• 1 month later...

I only know of leadcore and Copper for sinking lines and have both. I have not tried my copper on Walleye because I thought my 45 lb Copper may not detect a strike. But yesterday fished were down 60 to 70 and I could not reach them with leadcore. What is the brand of stainless wire you use? I use wire line on my diver rods but it is not a sinking line to my knowledge.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Erie United Mobile App

I only know of leadcore and Copper for sinking lines and have both. I have not tried my copper on Walleye because I thought my 45 lb Copper may not detect a strike. But yesterday fished were down 60 to 70 and I could not reach them with leadcore. What is the brand of stainless wire you use? I use wire line on my diver rods but it is not a sinking line to my knowledge.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Erie United Mobile App

I use American Fishing Wire in a single strand stainless. I personally use 20 lbs test but many run 12 lbs test. I buy it in 300' spools and put all 300 on the reel on top of backing.

You will also need a haywire tool to make the twists as you can't knot stainless.

https://afwfishing.com/afw_products/G020-4.asp

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics