Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fischer

What # test for Small spoons with dipsey

I was just wondering what pound test leader to run off the dipsey to a small scorpion sized spoon. I heard to use light line ( like 10lb) for these spoons but that seems like it would snap when hit with a dipsey. I usually run 25 for salmon and trout. I will be running either braid or wire main line to the dipsey. Thanks for any replies.

I use 20lb Maxima Fluorocarbon leader on my divers.  Probably could drop to 15lb,  but I find the divers take plenty of fish with the 20lb.  I mostly run spoons on my divers in various sizes including some scorpion size.

Thank for the help. Do you guys use a snubber ? I don’t use one normally. I think  I’ll give the 12 a try and move up if I end up losing too many lures/ fish lol.

No snubbers.  I use slide divers so I have mono for some stretch.  I go a little heavier on the leader as I run into the occasional laker or steelhead.  Gives a little insurance with inexperienced folks on the rod.

i've been using seaguar 20# premier fluro for yrs now and it works great. 6' or 7' leaders is all I use for eyes on erie. I tried using longer leaders but my catch rate didnt improve. and the 12' leaders was more trouble than they were worth. I use 20# invisz fluro line on my riggers. probably could go lighter but you just never know when that trophy will hit. and it doesn't seem to bother the fish. may be just as well off with 10# or 12# mono on the riggers but I don't like playing the odds.

• Like 1

Example from today's trip how 20lb leader can make a difference.  Took a 20lb class lake trout on a slide diver with R&R Superlite spoon.  We were targeting eyes and  were fishing in 70 degree water.  Client did a good job with fish even though he hadn't taken many fish on divers especially in this size.  With a little heavier leader fish is landed (and released), client happy and I have all my gear so we keep fishing. IMG_0742.thumb.JPG.c6c56c2798a457a620eaf715519e8c51.JPG  

• Like 1

just as an fyi.... a few years ago i set up my dipsey divers with light fluoro leads (and NO snubber)...say 12 lb leader.... i did end up losing a shit ton on lures...sometimes as simple as trying to get dipsey close to bottom oriented fish in 40-60 fow. This year i switched to the smaller, clear snubbers and 20# fluoro leaders. I don't think I can say I haven't lost a single lure.... but very few... and I catch plenty of eyes on them. Sucks when you start losing some of your Hero lures, esp when you only had 1 of them

For Lake Erie I don’t see the need for a snubber.  If someone is having issues with lure break offs, I be looking at drag settings, terminal tackle and line choices.  Great Lakes fishing is expensive enough so minimizing equipment loss becomes a priority.  My diver setups are braid for main line with slide divers on Maxima 40lb Ultragreen Leader with a 20lb. Maxima Flurocarbon leader.  I went to 40lb leader last year from 30 to get longer time before I change it out.  This setup has been pretty much bullet proof and I normally am running 4 slides in the spread.  I’ve lost 2 lures this season so far- one when a snap failed and other when a line tangled and got cut off.  I also have rule when buying lures-always buy at least two in case you lose one.