Using Dipsy Divers

I would highly recommend going out on a charter that runs divers. I started out with 2 days on the same charter before I went on my own. it was the best money I ever spent on fishing. I didnt know anything about running dipsies. but after the 2 days I was able to run 3 per side with a tangle here and there. by the end of the 1st day we was running things with the help of the charter caption. he set the divers on the 2nd day then we did the rest.

1 I use a 6' to 7' 20# fluro leader.

2 if I get a fish on an outside rod I move to the middle of the boat and wait while keeping the line tight until the fish comes over the inside lines then start reeling it in.

3 if you get a fish that don't release the diver the rod should be back farther than normal. if the fish trips the diver it will either be pulled back more or less than normal. but sometimes its really hard to tell. if a small white perch gets on the only way you can tell is by watching the ends of the rods for small jerks on the rod tip. its a lot of work but unless you use the lite bite slide diver which has a lure tension adjustment on them you should check for small fish or missing worms on harnesses often. you'll learn how often to check them.

I could go on all day about using divers but its not practical. one thing I will say is the dreamweaver deeper diver is much better than the dipsy and is the same as the dipsy with the ring on but it doesn't use a ring. the dipsy rings are a pain because they keep coming off. I use the lite bite slide diver now which has rings but they don't come off. I also use it like a dipsy and don't use the slide part. but I would never give up the lite bite feature. it has 2 adjustments 1 for the rod and 1 for the lure tension. I set it very loose so it trips on most very small fish.

Edited by sherman brown
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If your getting tangles of the leader on your main line, it's because your letting the dipsey out too fast. I let mine out by turning on the reel clicker and backing off on drag until it clicks it self out to the depth you want. Start setting up you 2nd dipsey rod while the first one is slowly clicking it's way out.  Leader length as long as you can get them until you can't reach the fish with your net anymore. Defiantly fluorocarbon leader. Dipseys work just fine without the ring, but you need to let out more line to get to same depth. The rings are a pain, some guys just super glue them on. I do like the ringless ones better but I'm still using both versions. Dipseys work best on steel line. Next best is super braid. I also have run them on mono, but it is hard to trip them on mono when you want to check you line or you get a small junk fish. I watch rod tip as much as possible for the tell tale wiggle of a silver bass or perch who just love to steal the back half of you night crawler. Dipseys towing a spin doctor and fly are very effective on Ontario.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi Sherman based on what you said I used the slide diver without the slide part and I like your idea. The slide was a great idea but it was difficult to keep working and difficult to deploy.

I would highly recommend going out on a charter that runs divers. I started out with 2 days on the same charter before I went on my own. it was the best money I ever spent on fishing. I didnt know anything about running dipsies. but after the 2 days I was able to run 3 per side with a tangle here and there. by the end of the 1st day we was running things with the help of the charter caption. he set the divers on the 2nd day then we did the rest.
1 I use a 6' to 7' 20# fluro leader.
2 if I get a fish on an outside rod I move to the middle of the boat and wait while keeping the line tight until the fish comes over the inside lines then start reeling it in.
3 if you get a fish that don't release the diver the rod should be back farther than normal. if the fish trips the diver it will either be pulled back more or less than normal. but sometimes its really hard to tell. if a small white perch gets on the only way you can tell is by watching the ends of the rods for small jerks on the rod tip. its a lot of work but unless you use the lite bite slide diver which has a lure tension adjustment on them you should check for small fish or missing worms on harnesses often. you'll learn how often to check them.
I could go on all day about using divers but its not practical. one thing I will say is the dreamweaver deeper diver is much better than the dipsy and is the same as the dipsy with the ring on but it doesn't use a ring. the dipsy rings are a pain because they keep coming off. I use the lite bite slide diver now which has rings but they don't come off. I also use it like a dipsy and don't use the slide part. but I would never give up the lite bite feature. it has 2 adjustments 1 for the rod and 1 for the lure tension. I set it very loose so it trips on most very small fish.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 1

My main line to the dipsy is braided, from the dipsy to the lure/harness I use 10' mono. I'll probably shorten it to 8' to make it easier to net fish. 

You won't get tangled reeling it in, only letting it out. I agree with P dog that your letting out the line too fast. If you let the line free reel, your dipsy will fall and spin & twist the line. I keep my finger on the spool and let it out slowly. It might take a couple of minutes.

A lot of fisherman have problems with dipsy releases. I get releases about half of the time, the other half I'm dragging a small walleye or a perch. I have my release set as light as possible. I use a medium light 8'6" pole so I can usually see a little more bend in the pole when I'm dragging a fish, or else you might notice there's not as much movement in the pole. The big thing is you have to watch rod tips and get use to the movement of your pole. Check your lines often. When you check your line and give it a slight jerk, you should feel the dipsy release. If the line feels heavy and the dipsy doesn't release, and you don't feel any head shakes, most likely your line is twisted. 

If the dipsy does release and there's no fish on, you'll notice there's hardly any bend in the pole. If you get a release with a fish on, the pole will be bouncing around. Sooner or later, you'll get the hang of it. Good luck Fishy.

The Slide Diver Light Bite when properly setup and adjusted pretty much eliminates dragging small fish and false releases.  There are adjustment screws on both the rear release arm and the front tow arm- the rear release should be set fairly loose with the front a bit tight yet releasing when rear release drops.  As far as deploying the slide leader there is a learning curve.  I find using heavier mono like 30 to 40lb test makes deployment and slide leader life longer.  Typically I use and deploy a 45 foot leader for the slide.  I add a 30 to 36 fluoro leader to the lure on the swivel for the slide leader.  For storage the leader goes on a leader spool.  The slide diver stays on the rod and I just swing the slide leader around the bottom of the reel attaching the snap swivel to first rod guide.  Slide diver stores in this position.  To me the advantages of the slide diver especially the light bite out weigh the learning curve of using it.  I used dipsey divers for twenty plus years but feel light bite double trigger and the ability to vary lead length make the slide diver more versatile.  PS  I get no deal when I buy Slide divers.

I am using a lite bite diver now but I'm not using the slide function. I just connect my line to the front attach point. Then my leader is connected to the rear arm as usual. One complaint I have with the diver is that it cannot be tripped by jerking the rod. This makes bringing it in to check lines or change lures a very difficult task.

The Slide Diver Light Bite when properly setup and adjusted pretty much eliminates dragging small fish and false releases.  There are adjustment screws on both the rear release arm and the front tow arm- the rear release should be set fairly loose with the front a bit tight yet releasing when rear release drops.  As far as deploying the slide leader there is a learning curve.  I find using heavier mono like 30 to 40lb test makes deployment and slide leader life longer.  Typically I use and deploy a 45 foot leader for the slide.  I add a 30 to 36 fluoro leader to the lure on the swivel for the slide leader.  For storage the leader goes on a leader spool.  The slide diver stays on the rod and I just swing the slide leader around the bottom of the reel attaching the snap swivel to first rod guide.  Slide diver stores in this position.  To me the advantages of the slide diver especially the light bite out weigh the learning curve of using it.  I used dipsey divers for twenty plus years but feel light bite double trigger and the ability to vary lead length make the slide diver more versatile.  PS  I get no deal when I buy Slide divers.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Erie United Mobile App

13 hours ago, mr 580 said:

i've been using the lite bite for a few yrs now and they are everything there supposed to be. but I use them like a dipsy. I tie my leader to a o-ring then put on a bead and lace it through the back going through the lite bite arm.

Garrymny if you are having difficulty tripping your slide diver to check lines your front arm is set too tight (this adjustment is same procedure as a LJ dipsey).  It has been my experience with all brands of divers that adjustments are required- if you expect to take them out of the package and have them work, one is usually disappointed.  I don’t find that slide divers need much adjustment once you get them right.  I watch my slide mono for wear and change that once I see any or if it starts to curl at rod tip when deploying.  

As far as using a SD light bite with fixed leader attached to rear trigger, it will work like that.  But why would you give up the ability to run a longer leader or vary leader length for different lures?  You have the light bite trigger so you don’t drag small fish but give up the signature feature of the slide diver.

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics