Walleye rigger releases

Well, I'm tired of messin with rubber bands, doubling them up, dry rot, ect. What is the best rigger release for eyes? Been thinking maybe the cannon light (white) releases. What is your favorite walleye rigger release? I'm very familiar with blacks' releases as I run them on my other boat on Lake O and they perform well. Maybe I should invest in a couple more blacks? Advice?

I have blacks and like them but have had fish swimming/dragging without releasing probably need to mess with the setting more but can never seem to get it right. Heard good things about Chamberlains releases and have one that I am going to try this year. It has a magnetic release for the light release.

I used Roemer's for years and loved them..separate tension adjustment for rod and lure. Had to replace a few and found that they no longer have triggers made of metal, they're now plastic. Braided lines wear a grove into the plastic and the line hang up on the release. I've tried both Blacks and Chamberlains and prefer the Chamberlains. Both work fine, but the adjustment seem to work better and holds it's setting better than the Blacks. Either one will work fine for walleye, but I obviously don't recommend the Roemer's. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Absolutely windburn, it's like grandma'scookie recipe, you can try it yourself but they just don't taste the same. Why do we always thing a change might be a good thing!! LOL!! Tight lines to all 

• 1 month later...

Used to use roemers because I liked the way they adjusted release tension.

I now use Blacks and like them a lot. If you use braid, the braid will slip in a roemer and saw a groove in the plastic until they won't release anymore. This is very important if you find a bunch of  suspended walleye and you want to send bait to bottom and intentionally release it and let the bait rise up thru the fish. Walleye usually cant resist that technique. If the release wont let go you just get pissed. If I find 3 or 4 fish bunched up tight on the fish finder, I always go for the bottom and trip it off. Works 75 per cent of the times you try it, even when the fish are not aggressive.

Rubber bands are fine for trout and salmon but aren't worth a dam for walleye or junk fish.

• 6 months later...

Ordered a pair of Chamberlains and a single chamberlain stacker yesterday. I watched a demo on you tube made by the inventor and that convinced me. More expensive than blacks but it's worth it if they release as advertised on white bass but still allow a highly loaded rod. Can't wait to try them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics