Sliders on downriggers

Dcra

I'm looking for some help using a slider on a downrigger. I don't want to use a stacker, don't need the extra pole to add to the pole count. I'd like to use a free slider rather than fixed. How effective are they for walleye? Has anyone tried using something other than a spoon? What length of leader line is used? Ever catch 2 fish at the same time? Thanks for any help you can provide.

I don’t use sliders on my walleye set.  I like to flutter my riggers so I don’t want a slider in the way.  If you run short setback on your riggers then a fixed slider might work for you.  I’ll run free sliders on Lake O with spoon on bottom and 8’ slider with spoon.  IMO a slider on Lake Erie is more likely to tangle than get you extra fish especially with stick baits.

I do use sliders, but exclusively for Trout and Salmon on Ontario. Walleyes are notoriously boat shy, and I don't think many walleyes would take a bait that close to the boat. For T&S, I run roughly 8' leads and always run spoons, never stick baits. A stick bait would have a tendency to dive down the main line depending on the size of the bill on the stick, unless you fix the slider to the main with a rubber band or other device. 

I run sliders most of the time. Usually just light spoons with a 3 to 4 foot leader.I have had a few doubles doing so.When the Silver Bass get thick you catch a lot more of them than eyes on them. I have run harnesses on them also with luck but they tend to tangle more.I fish solo often and a couple more lures minus the extra rods help. 

you can run fixed or free on your rigger. but I would recommend using fixed for walleye. I have never tried it but may give it a try. walleye usually school close to the same depth so having both lures in the strike zone would be better. I would use a swivel and bead a few feet above the bottom lure to keep the slider from going down to the bottom one. I guess a cloths pin would work to fix the slider. but I would get a bag of small electric alligator clips then get auto vacuum hose just a little small than the jaws on the clips. then push the hose over the jaws and cut it off. drop the ball 5' or 10' hook the swivel of the slider to your line and clip it on with the alligator clip. but a slider will run about half way down. if your catching fish down 40 to 50 feet the slider would only be down 20 to 25 feet.  but a fixed slider would be very close to the depth your getting fish. I think a 6 or 7 foot 20# fluro leader is all you need.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the suggestions. Many of the ideas I have given some considerable time thinking about. I will try both ways, sliding and fixed. So far this year, I haven't fished in more than 60' of water so I haven't tried it much. If and when the walleye move deeper, then I'll try it consistently, at least off one of the riggers. Looking forward to getting that 1st one on a slider. And when I do, I'll be sure to give a report. 

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics