Walleye First Erie Trip Ever, Looking For Advice

I’m planning my first ever trip to Erie around the 2nd weekend in August.  Mostly interested in Walleye, but wouldn’t mind fishing for some smallmouth either. First off, not positive even where I want to go out from.  From what I’ve read, anywhere along the eastern shore should be ok that time of year, so open to anywhere between Erie and Buffalo.  Any recommendations on where to launch and places to stay would also be much appreciated.  

I mostly fish Lake Ontario, so I’m all setup for trolling, which I assume is the preferred method?

Thanks For The Help

Mike

I’m planning my first ever trip to Erie around the 2nd weekend in August.  Mostly interested in Walleye, but wouldn’t mind fishing for some smallmouth either. First off, not positive even where I want to go out from.  From what I’ve read, anywhere along the eastern shore should be ok that time of year, so open to anywhere between Erie and Buffalo.  Any recommendations on where to launch and places to stay would also be much appreciated.  
I mostly fish Lake Ontario, so I’m all setup for trolling, which I assume is the preferred method?
Thanks For The Help
Mike

Dunkirk for sure.

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Not trying  to be Mr. Negative but I would highly reccomend you book a charter probably out of Dunkirk before making your 1st L.Erie trip . Tell the Captain that your plan  is to be on your own boat the next day. Soak up as much as you can from the charter and apply it to your 1st trip on Erie with your own boat. It'll definitely  increase the enjoyment & fun of your 1st L. Erie trip on your own boat. It will also probably save you money in the long run as far as what else you need to buy etc. Lake Erie is an incredible fishery! But there is a learning curve. Good luck and  safe!!

• Like 3

Just troll with lead core lines. 5, 7, and 10 colors. Put on a jointed rapala. This has been most productive for me. On riggers, run spoons and if you mark fish, pop them loose and let them flutter up. I fish out of catt Creek because it is closer for me. We tried drifting with jigs and crawlers over a bottom screen plastered with walleyes, no luck. Resumed trolling. Ended with 4 man limit. Happened several times. Don't know why.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 2

Dunkirk is a good choice for an August trip to Lake Erie.  Lots of lodging in the area with a Clarion Hotel right near the launch at City Pier.  If you were interested in an educational charter, you can access the Eastern Lake Erie Charterboat Assoc directly from this forum for a list of captains and boats.  Much of your Lake Ontario gear can be used, but has some tweaks for Lake Erie.  I run leadcore, divers and two riggers on my boat.  You could get up to speed with one trip-be sure and let the captain know you want info for your own boat.  I do several educational trips for people every year and have no problem sharing info.  Hope you can make it to Lake Erie this summer.

• Like 2

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics