Whats the best VHF radio to buy?

the antenna is the heart of not getting good range .just about any radio will work as long as you have a good antenna. I recommend the Shakespeare 5225 xt. they cost a little over 100.00. I forget the brand radio I bough last yr.  but most of the radios the cost of the radios I checked before I bought and the cost is depending on the bells and whistles you want. I bought a new one with built in gps. and registered it through boatus.com.  the one I bought off ebay was on sale for 189.00. I just wanted to get one with built in gps. and I was well pleased with the one I got.

I think I got the icom radio with built in gps. its about the middle of the pack radio. I used it out of Geneva and talked with guys as far away that I hadn't been  away to before. but I also use a n9'.6" antenna. I got it off ebay when the seller had a big discount. it is the Shakespeare 5399  9.5 antenna.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In an emergency time is critical.  A “Mayday” call on Channel 16 will likely get a faster response than a cell call. Plus your best bet for help is a nearby boater.  With a MMSI number the USCG will have both your GPS coordinates and basic vessel info.  The radio and antenna are around $250 - MMSI sign up is free.   Not a lot of money by today’s standards and what guys have invested in boats and gear.  My radio has a special distress button- don’t have that on my cell phone.

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics