Engine failure

I have a question - wondering if anyone else has had this happen - or a mechanic my be able to provide some information.

I have a Grady White Volvo engine - boat starts up no problem - idles 15 / 20 seconds and completely stops. Try to start again - wont start. Open the engine cover and I think I smelled the odor of gas.

I appreciate any ones help - the season is just starting and I am still at the dock.

Thank you for your help and information

I have a question - wondering if anyone else has had this happen - or a mechanic my be able to provide some information.
I have a Grady White Volvo engine - boat starts up no problem - idles 15 / 20 seconds and completely stops. Try to start again - wont start. Open the engine cover and I think I smelled the odor of gas.
I appreciate any ones help - the season is just starting and I am still at the dock.
Thank you for your help and information
U out of SBH?

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Sounds like a fuel problem.  Check/change fuel filters.  If you have carburetor then might be needle and seat sticking or float stuck.  Carb might need rebuild.  When it stops is it flooded?  Or does it act starved for fuel?

if you have the old type gas line you might want to replace them. some times the old line  will get stopped up from the inner lining gets stopped up from using regular gas. when the lining comes apart inside the line stopping the gas flow to the motor. what you should do is to take a small gas tank with gas and bypass the main line. hook up the portable tank and see if it will run.

• Like 1

i'm still guessing its not getting fuel or your getting to mush fuel. tapping the carb pretty hard with the handle of a large screwdriver might fix the problem if the needle valve is stuck. another thing that might be causing your problem is the fuel pump is bad. what motor are you running?? is it a outboard or mercruiser?? either one being bad could cause it to start up and run the gas out of the carb but once it does then it wont get any more gas causing it to die and not start back up. do you have a mechanical or a electrical?? all the mechanical fuel pumps that i've seen uses a rubber diaframe. if they teal or gets a hole in it your motor will starve for fuel.

• Like 1

I went back and read your post again. now I know it has a volvo . my mercruiser has an electric that was put in with the new motor. but it wont start pumping without oil pressure. so if it sets for a time it is a bit** to get it started. what I do is start it by priming it and keep the motor running long enough for the pump to start fueling.

so it is important to know if it has electric pump? if yours has the electric pump that only starts pumping with oil pressure then try priming it by pouring about 1 or 2 ounces of gas down in the carb. and if your bold enough to keep pouring enough gas in the carb and see if it will keep running on its own after about a minute or a litte longer. but you may not have an electric or it may have an electric that doesn't need oil pressure to pump. take a gas line loose and have someone crank it over while you watch and see if its pumping gas.

1 hour ago, sherman brown said:

I guess thats why mine wont pump if it doesn't have oil pressure. once the engine stops so does the pump.

Hey everyone - thanks for the advice and impute!

I have been still addressing the issue.

as of now - still no start,

new plugs, cap, rotor, wires

new coil.

What it comes down to - in my own world - not getting a spark to ignite the fuel!

Make any sense. Any further advice 

there is a simple way to see if your getting power to your plugs. remove a plug wire hold it about 1/8" from the block and have someone crank the motor. if its getting power the spark will just from the wire to the block.

the throttle position sensor could be bad. it shuts the motor down for just a second while its going into gear. or the sensor could be bad. this would cause it not to start. another way to see if its getting a spark would be to get a can of starting fluid spray some down the carb then crank the motor over. if it starts its a fuel problem. if it doesn't at least you know it not getting power to the plug.

• 1 month later...

have you removed the gas line to see if your getting fuel. or just remove the water/fuel separator if you have one and crank the motor over with something under the separator base to catch fuel.

if my motor sets for awhile I need to prime it to get it started and fuel to the carb. I have an electric fuel pump that only works when I have oil pressure. have you tried spraying starting fluid in the carb to see if it fires. or just pour about 2 ounces of gas down the carb. is should start and run for a few seconds. I use gas and once it starts I keep pouring gas in real slow to keep mine running until the pump gets gas to the carb. but all you need is starting fluid to see if it starts. if it starts either your line is blocked or the pump is bad.

please let us know if the starting fluid works for you.

Did you put new points in when you did the cap and rotor? Also you might have to drain the fuel tank completely if you had ethanol fuel in the tank untreated when you winterized last fall then run reg. unleaded fuel only. I had a similar problem with my mercruiser 120 I ended up pulling the fuel tank from a closed bow  boat which involved pulling the seats and kick panel and drained the tank completely, there was lots of sediment and separated ethanol I then cleaned and re lined my tank with p o r 15.. it came with cleaning solvents and a re liner which hardens and coats the inside of the tank. I put the tank back in, ran new fuel lines new fuel water separator new fuel filters new mechanical fuel pump and I only use regular unleaded fuel now and it hasn't missed a beat in 9 years, touch the key she starts, 35 year old boat and I use it all the time. Hope this was helpful to you

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics