Walleye Dunkirk 2019

Heading out this weekend during most likely off-hours (mid day, afternoon) with out of town family in for weekend to do some fishing.

Looks like 60-80ft is where we should look straight out of harbor (?).

I dont get out too often (new to walleye fiahing) and have never fished the area before... have lead, copper and down riggers, just not sure where to head, and what colors to deploy to keep my guests interested in fishing.

Any tips on whats worked in last few days would be appreciated.

Looks like a nice weekend - so it'll at least be a nice boat rode if nothing else....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Erie United Mobile App

I have had best fishing with crawler harnesses that have a pattern of orange, black and white paint on blades with back side of blade either copper or gold plated. I like to drift with bottom bouncers but if lake goes flat I troll with dipseys. Look through the posts for what settings if you use dipseys. I have found 3 setting and somewhere around 150 to 180 feet of line to work. I play around depending on how close to bottom the marks are. Good luck. They are biting well on all offerings from the reports being posted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Thanks Marty!

I have had best fishing with crawler harnesses that have a pattern of orange, black and white paint on blades with back side of blade either copper or gold plated. I like to drift with bottom bouncers but if lake goes flat I troll with dipseys. Look through the posts for what settings if you use dipseys. I have found 3 setting and somewhere around 150 to 180 feet of line to work. I play around depending on how close to bottom the marks are. Good luck. They are biting well on all offerings from the reports being posted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Thanks... i think.

Reports dont always contain all pertinent info, like down speed, direction, time, color, location etc.

There are also sometimes things that are out of ones control.

Some of us are only out there with what we have, trying to have a fun time and others seem to take things a little too seriously.....

Read the reports and do what they say.... if you can’t catch...then quit fishing....it’s stupid easy right now...

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

• Like 2

Very easy limits of eyes in Dunkirk. We took my niece and brother this morning. 4 person limit in three and half hours. Threw back a few bigger ones as well. All stick baits, two riggers and six leadcore between three and eight colors. Five to seven were by far the best. Eight rods and that’s all I could keep up with at times. At one point we had six fish on and landed them all. Couple bonus Lakers Too.

I started west in 65 fow around the two water towers near Van Buren. Unfortunately when the wind kicked up we kept trolling west and ended up down about 11 miles. Long chug back. In my 20’ boat, I just can’t control speed pounding into them. Color didn’t seem to matter today, purple, fire tiger, blue, naturals, perch, clown. They all caught. Interestingly enough I didn’t catch anything on riggers with spoons, put a couple sticks on them and we caught 4 or 5 on them after that. I run Renosky and Bay Rats primarily. IMG_1100.JPGIMG_1101.JPG

• Like 1

Awesome! Thanks for contributing!

Very easy limits of eyes in Dunkirk. We took my niece and brother this morning. 4 person limit in three and half hours. Threw back a few bigger ones as well. All stick baits, two riggers and six leadcore between three and eight colors. Five to seven were by far the best. Eight rods and that’s all I could keep up with at times. At one point we had six fish on and landed them all. Couple bonus Lakers Too.

I started west in 65 fow around the two water towers near Van Buren. Unfortunately when the wind kicked up we kept trolling west and ended up down about 11 miles. Long chug back. In my 20’ boat, I just can’t control speed pounding into them. Color didn’t seem to matter today, purple, fire tiger, blue, naturals, perch, clown. They all caught. Interestingly enough I didn’t catch anything on riggers with spoons, put a couple sticks on them and we caught 4 or 5 on them after that. I run Renosky and Bay Rats primarily. IMG_1100.thumb.JPG.75e954b03bc2be3dd6c2f857ffe21365.JPGIMG_1101.thumb.JPG.3e34b76e0ef768a04772fe99a83e544e.JPG

I agree with Randy. Last week we killed them using 6 - 7 color, in 60 ft, fish were close to the bottom. Week later (yesterday) we started the same, couldn't buy a bite. Finder showed marks at 35-45, over 60. Switched up to 4 and 5 and increased speed from 1.2 to 1.7 and we had walleye for supper. Saw guys coming in with limits some with a couple. Some figured it out, some did not. Not really stupid easy.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 2

I usually only get to go weekends so it’s always a guessing game for me. What I’ve noticed is there’s a lot of fish out there from 40 to 110. So you just have to choose how deep of water you want to fish and then figure at what depth the walleye are at. 65 to 75 has been my go to depth. Anything with purple or pink has been my go to color for harnesses. For sticks I have a couple of the old shallow thunderstick  rainbow trout patterns and rapala hj12 with a pinkish purplish back have been the go to colors.

• Like 1

We caught a ton of fish the past two days during the con club tourney. There are tons of fish around out front right now. We caught fish from Dunkirk to in front of 18mile on Friday and from Brockton to the pa line yesterday.

Fishing is great right now. Stay above 55 feet though (where we found thermocline in deeper water) or you are likely gonna slime up the boat with lakers. We got one yesterday pushing 20.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Thanks all. We did just ok. Got boat slowed to 1.2 sog on day 2, that helped (was 3ish prior), managed a couple of eaters, nothing special. Yellow and orange stick bait and purple/blue spinner on bouncer worked for us.

Heard a few struck out, some claimed "40 minute" limits, so its all over the place i suppose...

We had most success slightly east of harbor, apx 65 deep

Thru Friday to Sunday we caught over 100 walleye off drop at Brocton Shoals 70 ft out to 90 ft.We released just about all of them ,kept a dozen each day for the freezer.Mostly 20 to 21 inch eyes,caught on 3 & 5 color Leadcore on boards,with Bomb ers & Bay Rats in emerald green color at 2.3 to 2.4 mph.Also 3 Lakers each day that were over 15 lbs,a couple Steelhead.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mostlymuskies said:

Thru Friday to Sunday we caught over 100 walleye off drop at Brocton Shoals 70 ft out to 90 ft.We released just about all of them ,kept a dozen each day for the freezer.Mostly 20 to 21 inch eyes,caught on 3 & 5 color Leadcore on boards,with Bomb ers & Bay Rats in emerald green color at 2.3 to 2.4 mph.Also 3 Lakers each day that were over 15 lbs,a couple Steelhead.

Hey Larry....did you get a break from the pedal boat? nice to hear you ripped some lips

I took off for North Chautauqua Conservation Club Tourney, but could not break 6 lb size out if all those eyes!

We had the same issue, we hauled in over 50 eyes and couldn’t come up with a good weigher for the derby. The few bigger fish were 4 pounds, the bulk were 2 to 3 pound eaters. Still was a blast hooking up with triples and quads each morning, limited out first few hours, couldn’t keep em off! I love the late summer bite!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics