Big Jon Boards

We have the Big Jon boards and they do not seem to pull good through the water.  Doe anyone have any suggestions as to how to the boards to run better and pull out to the side better keeping the line connected to the mast tought?  Thanks

You shouldn't have to re drill anything.Re tie if yours are not 9 inches in the front and 14 inches in the back on the rope.Some guys add a second keel I haven't don't know how much it helps.Big Jons don't pull real hard like some of the other boards and one side always seems to pull better than the other depending on the wind and the waves.Some guys use 200 pound power pro for there tow line instead of the dacron orange line that comes with the mast.Your releases will slide down it better and it doesn't belly as much because it is lighter and doesn't absorb as much water.

adding another keel really helps. Both my lake o fishing partners have done it to pull copper rigs. You should be able to go on LakeOntarioUnited to get instructions. I personally hate otter boats. I think my folding Cannon boards pull just as good as otter boats and they don't take up as much storage room in the boat when not being used. To each his own I suppose.

I ended up making my own planer boards. 30" long by 12" deep bolted together with 2' of 1/2" all thread. They pull really well. I modeled them off of a dock neighbor years ago. They are very heavy. The only thing I would have done differently is add some pool noodle on the all thread to give them a little more bouancy in a chop.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics