Ice thaw on the Eastern end of Lake Erie

Yesterday afternoon (April 26, 2019) I flew into Buffalo airport from the South-West over Lake Erie and was able to get a good view of the ice conditions on the Eastern end of the lake. The ice is clearly dwindling down and now only extends out about half way between Point Abino and Port Colborne on the Canadian side. Not sure on the status of the Ice boom, but it appears to still be in place (or at least in part), as I could see still it connected on the Canadian side just West of the water intake. You can see in the pictures where the ice breakers have been making their way through to break it up.  Hard to believe that the Small boat harbor (ahem, I mean Safe Harbor Marina) is supposed to open in five days... I sure hope mother nature is reading these posts, so she remembers to turn up the heat; we've been waiting eight months for this!

IMG_1956.JPEG

IMG_1957.JPEG

IMG_1959.JPEG

IMG_1960.JPEG

IMG_1962.JPEG

IMG_1963.JPEG

IMG_1966.JPEG

• Like 1

One boat off of Sturgeon Point anchored up. Ice on the Canadian Shore all the way from Crystal Beach to the river. The American shore has ice well past sub Hamburg. Sturgeon Point has a dock at the ramp. M

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Did they dredge the harbor? Last I was there the sand bar was all the way across

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

From the Hatch up the Buffalo River was logs & debris floating everywhere. Launched Pedal Tour Boat at SBH ,brought it down the Harbor and up the Buffalo River to Riverworks.Water temp in Harbor was 37.8 degrees and void of any marks on fish finder, water in Buffalo River was 48 degrees and large pods of baitfish & many walleye hooks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Lake Erie United Mobile App

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics