Early Walleye fishing: Catt Creek to Small Boat Harbor Buffalo.

Trolled sunday west off Catt 6-11am, 45-60ft. Boxed 12 tossed 1 back. Spoons, harnesses and stick baits on downriggers, slidedivers & leadcore all worked.  3 BIG fish were ALL on stickbaits.  Lures with purple worked best. Lots of fish on screen, mostly hugging bottom.

• Like 1

I wish more folks would make a report. I make a report every time. It is helpful for all of us. I never have much luck until August and September. Then we get 3 and 4 man limits. As I said in another thread, I cannot understand why it is hit and miss in June and July. Perplexed. I salmon fish Ontario until August.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Erie United Mobile App

4 hours ago, garrymny said:

I wish more folks would make a report. I make a report every time. It is helpful for all of us. I never have much luck until August and September. Then we get 3 and 4 man limits. As I said in another thread, I cannot understand why it is hit and miss in June and July. Perplexed. I salmon fish Ontario until August.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Erie United Mobile App

I agree 100%. We all share the same passion and any help we can provide to each other should be done.  There are RECORD amounts of walleye in the lake, we should help each other!  

Trolled Sunday 6-23 off the Catt, 53-60'. Put 7 in the box, and one perch. Harnesses off riggers near the bottom, and crank baits on dipseys. Saw a fair amount of fish on the screen near the bottom. Fish were between 17-28". Beautiful day on the water, lots of boats trolling and perch fishing.

14 hours ago, ws6rufus said:

I agree 100%. We all share the same passion and any help we can provide to each other should be done.  There are RECORD amounts of walleye in the lake, we should help each other!  

Hey guys I report pretty regularly on my face book page Dances With Fish, Dunkirk NY and occasionally on here. My opinion is that you guys are fishing east of Dunkirk to Buffalo are just in a less productive area. Fairly simple. No secret. Launching out of Barcelona, Dunkirk, NE Pa it would increase your catches dramatically. I would suggest that the Catt is the best location for Perch and one of the least productive ports on Erie for eyes the months of May and June. Now later in the year that is not the case. For the month of May or June it’s just how I see it. If I believed differently my boat would be there, which is way closer to my house. 

Fished 3 miles of the cat on Monday worked all morning for 5 walleyes and about 12 nice perch three ways with worm harnesses work for us barely. It was slow Pickens lots of fish suspended definitely not the carpet on the bottom like guys were posting couple weeks back all the fish on a fish finder where's mostly off the bottom. Jig a few times for perch when a cluster showed up 20 ft down in 50 feet of water and caught some. Little crappie tube jigs work for us we did not have live bait other than worms. Go to Dunkirk LOL

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

I always try to monitor reports "seasonally" across the whole lake (NY ports to Western Ohio ports) to determine where the major action is. Remember... of course there are local fish throughout all of Lake Erie, but the major "migratory" schools have yet to show up in NY waters. That's why we see so many fish around the Catt in Aug-thru-Sep (once they arrive). Its 2 plus hours for me to get to the Catt or Dunkirk. Another hour & a half or so, I'm in Ohio water (where the major action is NOW). I will be towing my boat to Ohio next week for 4 days of slaughterfest action. guys are consistently pulling 3 man limits in less than 2 hours. that's where I will be!!! Granted, me and a buddy fished Barcelona a couple weeks ago and did well. but we had to really work for them...like all day long. Its basic statistics... would you rather be on a school of active fish that is 2 plus miles long? or see a fish here and there or maybe a small pod or 2 on your screen ?  For those who want to wait, NY waters will be packed with the 2014/2015 year class fish a little later. But I need my fix NOW!!! Tight lines and be safe out there

• Like 2

I agree with Ten %. There are regional walleye that stay here year around, but the majority of walleye swim back to the shallow rocky waters on the western end of the lake to spawn. After spawning, & when the water temperatures warm there, they migrate back to the cooler deeper waters on the eastern end of Lake Erie. This has been a cooler rainy spring which may delay that process a bit. A week or 2 of 80 degree temps will help the process. It's almost July and soon everyone will be limiting out again. I'll be patient and still continue to fish off the Catt. You can travel to the west if you want, but I'm still putting fish in the box and the numbers will only get better. 

• Like 1

Dcra..... over the years, we have made friends at these other westerly locations. So, its also an opportunity to visit with them, break some bread & steak together (with a cold beer), swap fishing stories.... and learn "anything" new about our fabulous fishery & our quarry. BTW, it also seems like many of our western neighbors in Ohio have that "mid western hospitality" that is not always that common here in NY. So YES, we will head west next week and spank em hard if the weather cooperates and fish our NY ports when the catching gets better

Don't feel bad I was going to go out today as well and got derailed, so tomorrow out of the small boat harbor to bottom bounce out to Hamburg, when I go out of Sturgeon or the Catt I bring the riggers and lead. I avoid next week with all the Holiday Yahoos. Hope you guys get some limits!

I went out of the Catt today with my wife........ we wound up with 20 perch and 5 walleye. We fished for perch until about 10:30, and then hunted walleyes until about 2. Walleyes came on 4 color, 5 color, rigger(45) and wire diver(95)....... mostly harnesses, but one on a stickbait. East in 65 fow showed the best picture. Seemed like the active fish were up high, but we charted fish on the bottom too.Really nice day.

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics