Sturgeon Point 2019

Heading over from Rochester tomorrow to fish for perch. Any advice or recent reports would be appreciated. 

Emeralds usually take the day. Traditionally their are schools between 50-65fow straight out of the harbor. From what I have read looks like most are having to search for them. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Fished 3-7p out of SP. found fish in 48-56fow. Sticks and harness off lead and downriggers did the work for us. 1.5-2.0 speed on graph. Caught about 15 between 15”-28”. The ENE wind was ripping.

The new to me boat did excellent. Always a couple extra kinks to work out, but so far couldn’t be happier. Rides great and cruises nice at 30mph. Good luck out there all

• Like 3

Fished West of Sturgeon Point Wednesday (yesterday). Beautiful day to be out. Fished with rod in hand using mainly harnesses, and jigs. Caught 6 eyes and 5 perch. The eyes ranged from 19 inches to 27.5 inches. Caught 3 of the eyes out in 62 feet of water and 3 in 45 to 50 fow. Also caught a 10 pound catfish and a few sheeps. Not bad for first outing of the season.

• Like 3

Just an fyi... I had a number of long white tape worms coming out of one of the eyes that I filleted. I looked it up on line and they are not supposed to be a health issue as long as you cook the meat thoroughly. It was the first time I observed them on any walleye or other fish. There were some coming out of the mouth and a bunch in the cooler that had already left the fish. They abandon the fish when it dies from the article I read. Anyone else seeing them?

Edited by Stillwater

Just an fyi... I had a number of long white tape worms coming out of one of the eyes that I filleted. I looked it up on line and they are not supposed to be a health issue as long as you cook the meat thoroughly. It was the first time I observed them on any walleye or other fish. There were some coming out of the mouth and a bunch in the cooler that had already left the fish. They abandon the fish when it dies from the article I read. Anyone else seeing them?

I have not experienced that.

I fish out of Dunkirk and I did notice what looked to be long stringy tapeworms from some of the fish.  Fish were all healthy and fat so meat looked good.  I noticed it more when I disposed of guts (grinder wasn’t working then) then when I was filleting.  Pretty sure I’ve seen it some in the past.  Going forward I’ll pay closer attention to it.  Agree that if meat is cooked properly not an issue.

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics