Preferred method for running harnesses?

Those eyes

Just started walleye Fishing this past year, did alright but not fantastic. Was wondering if there is a preferred method 

for using worm harnesses when fishing for walleye. Also had leadcore spooled on reels but didn’t get a chance to use them,

anybody have information on how or when to use this method?

You should attend the Greater Niagara Fishing Show January 18-20 and take advantage of the seminars.  Lots of information and time to get questions answered.  Good show for all anglers-beginners to the pro.  If you are having trouble running worm harness probably a speed issue.  They run off divers, riggers, leadcore and bottom bouncers- pretty universal presentation.

• Like 1

harnesses can be run with inline weights on big or little boards. I prefer divers like dipsy, dreamweaver deeper diver, or the ones I use the lite bite slide diver. I started with the dipsy but had trouble with the rings. so I switched to the deeper diver which doesn't use rings. then I read about the lite bite that has a lure tension release. I don't use the slide part of the diver just the lite bite feature. I recommend the lite bite because the lure tension can be set loose and the diver will release on small fish. I even get releases on most white perch. the next one would be the deeper diver (fishusa.com) then last would be the dipsy. the lite bite has rings but i've never had one come off. when letting out divers with harnesses you want to let them out slow (use the clicker on your reel) or they will tangle. I recommend going out on a charter that fishes with divers, or filling open seats to get as much schooling at fishing them.

spoons was the hot ticket this yr trolled at 2.8 to 3.0 mph. we fished harnesses at 1.6 to 2.0 1st but catching was slow. we had heard about the spoon bite and switched to spoons. with 6 divers we had a 5 man limit in just under 5 hrs.

I use harnesses a lot while walleye fishing Erie. The nice thing about them is they preform at almost any speed. When fishing a 6 rod spread I usually run 4 harnesses on my Dipsys, a low and a high diver off each side. Then I run 1 off a rigger. The other rigger usually has a spoon for steelhead.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Erie United

As I have recently joined Southtowns Walleye, I’m looking for a charter captain who does bottom bouncing so that I might pick up some pointers as I plan to start fishing for walleye/perch in this manner. I’ve been a bass fisherman for 50 years but plan to switch over to Walleye now that I’ve purchased a new boat that allows me more freedom to target other fish. Tried harnesses over the summer and fall with some successes but would like to learn more. Any suggestions will be appreciated . . .

Another bottom bouncer charter is Marc Lorenc (716-534-5905) and I'm sure he would be helpful in getting you setup.  He trailers and fishes from several locations.  He also posts on LEU from the Eastern Lake Erie Charter Boat Association section.  Most charter captains will be helpful especially if you let them know what techniques you are interested in learning. 

I like to throw a couple of galeforcetackle.com walleye spoons on when running harnesses. when I have 4 people or more on the boat I run 6 divers with harnesses and 2 downriggers with spoons back about 25'. the short leads gives a better action running at harness speeds usually 1.8 to 2.0. doctor death, reverse muffin are my best colored spoons.

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics