Reels for walleye

Those eyes

are you looking for trolling reels? I use daiwa sg17lca and sg17lc3b reels for erie and they serve me very well. if you want top of the line it would be tekota reels. the 17 is small light and easy to handle but big enough for erie. you can get the 17 reels off ebay for around 80.00 with free shipping. right now cabelas has a sale on the sealine lc5 reels at 75.00 to 79.00 each depending on the size you get. and I think anything over 50.00 is free shipping.

I have a bunch of Diawa  Sealine 47LC's and they are OK. The bad thing about them is the little threaded cap and spring (under the star drag knob) tends to fall off and you don't notice till it's gone. It controls the free spool friction. When it falls off the little spring inside also falls off and both parts end up in the bilge or are lost forever and you then have to find or buy replacement parts. It only happens to my Diawa's, none of my other reels.  Aside from that they are pretty good reels with fairly good drags. They are kind of small for lead core reels but you don't really need line counters for lead core reels. I use the metal ( not complete plastic) Cabela's Depthmaster Gold's. Never pay full price, wait till they are on sale or you have a 20% off coupon. I have picked them up for  around $75 each on sale. They will hold up to 7 cores and backing and 100 feet of leader. They also make good down rigger reels because again you don't need line counter's for that application. My diver reels are all rigged with metal line and twilly tips. I use big Okuma CW453D because I use the same rods for Ontario salmon and Erie walleye. They work good. I would love to try a $200 Tekota, but I'm too cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics