Hi all.never been on erie.really want to learn Wally fishing.i have a 16ft polar kraft.( I know I'll have to pick my days because of small boat ). I bought so.e planer boards and dypsys and a bunch of p10 and 20 lures.. was possibly thinking about next week but it looks like it's going to be windy most of the week going to try around the Huron Oh.area..

20181030_100859.jpg

Hi Ed,  and  welcome. If your fishing the west end of erie before you invest in a lot of gear you might try a charter to see what you need and dont need. Capt Juls out of port clintion  OH is great  and fishes out of a ranger so the boat lay out well be a lot like yours. by the end of the trip you well have a real good idea of what is going on and setting lines. Ph 419 835 7347 also Lance Valentine from walleye 101 offers training charters where you use your own boat you can see his stuff on the walleye 101 web site. but this site offers a lot of good info from great fisherpeople at the right time of year.  good luck fishing

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Ed Heiman said:

Thanks..ya I been thinking a charter to see what's going on would be a great idea

when I switched from the western to the central basin I didnt know anything about fishing the central basin. and I had never even seen a dipsey used. I went out on a charter 2 times that used dipsey's. I learned more in those 2 days than I could have learned in yrs by myself. after the 2 trips I was able to go out and run 6 divers. we did get our share of tangles. the worst tangles came when we would get the diver on the wrong side of the boat. money spent on a charter is the best money you will ever spend on fishing erie. if you know how you want to fish take a charter that fishes that program. dipsey's, inline boards, big boards, or drift fishing the western basin are a few of the ways to fish erie. if you want to do inline boards going with one that does dipsey's isn't going to teach you anything about inline boards.

I started with dipsey's with rings. but the rings kept coming off. they were a pain, I even tried gluing them on. then I think it was walker that came out with the deeper diver which was the same size as the dipsey with rings, but the deeper diver had no rings. so I switched to the deeper diver and it was much better. I think dreamweaver has the deeper diver now. later I came across the lite bite slide diver and switched again. I don't use the slide part of the diver. I just tie to the front then take about 12" of heavy braid and tie to a split ring then lace it through the back and in the lite bite arm. I tie on my snubber then use about 6 or 7 ft fluro 20# for my leader. if you don't use snubbers you can tie your leader to the split ring and lace it through the back. the lite bites uses rings but in the yrs i've used them i've never had one come off. set the front tension just tight enough to not get false releases. then set the lure tension as loose as you can and not get false releases. how many times i've reeled my lure in and had a small fish on it. well the lite bite trips on most small fish even small white perch.

Edited by sherman brown
  • Like 1

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics