Spoons

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've done very well for two years in a row now since I've been walleye fishing with these Viking spoons found at the millers bait shop right in front of Cattaraugus Creek area., caught several fish off downriggers and Gypsy divers with these spoons. I'm mostly a salmon and steelhead troller but we've been fishing Lake Erie pretty hard the last two three years expanding our genre. At first I didn't have faith in this little lure because of how small it was but it didn't take much time in the watet to get em.20180924_175057.thumb.jpeg.729ee3c8f0e708ce4468bb7490dc01fd.jpeg20180924_175121.thumb.jpeg.c47a9129abd244ebcd4333cf0121673a.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• 3 weeks later...

Spoons are great as they are easy to use. Since spoons have been so popular a lot of fisherman have tried many brands. The only thing you need to consider is the weight/thickness/ color of spoons. Many are buying blanks and painting or taping them as they see fit. A new MI spoon is gonna run minimum $6.00. so if you wanna outfit yourself with various sizes and colors expect to spend $400.00. 

• 8 months later...

here is my walleye spoon box...Dreamweaver SS's, WD's & worm burners, Scorpions, NK28s, Suttons, Evil eyes & another new, smaller one that I forget the name of right now. And YES small spoons will catch Big fish too. I've had great luck on the larger spoons sometimes too. when the spoon bite is HOT, many will catch fish

spoon box.jpg

here is my walleye spoon box...Dreamweaver SS's, WD's & worm burners, Scorpions, NK28s, Suttons, Evil eyes & another new, smaller one that I forget the name of right now. And YES small spoons will catch Big fish too. I've had great luck on the larger spoons sometimes too. when the spoon bite is HOT, many will catch fish
658134108_spoonbox.thumb.jpg.f4c0c8dc86cb4e1ffdd473f73befd313.jpg
Only one box? I have two for walleye (one set of small and the other large) and three trays of Steelhead spoons!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

658134108_spoonbox.thumb.jpg.f4c0c8dc86cb4e1ffdd473f73befd313.jpg
Do Scorpions produce fish??? Been thinking about buying some and are there any specific colors?? Thanks

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Lake Erie United Mobile App

On 8/23/2019 at 6:36 AM, Fishy7816 said:

Do Scorpions produce fish??? Been thinking about buying some and are there any specific colors?? Thanks

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Lake Erie United Mobile App

scorpions do catch fish. but I do great with the galeforcetackle.com walleye size spoons. I have gale force and scorpions on my boat. the gale force is cheaper with the jawbreaker, dr death, reverse muffin being my best. but scorpion has some great colors I cant get from gft. anything purple catches fish, shrimp has been an awesome color.

Scorpions catch fish but tend to suffer from a common Stinger problem of paint adhesion.  Number of good choices in spoons with Silver Streak, Moonshine, Warrior, Dreamweaver Super Slim having good product.  It is nice to have a mix of size from the small 2.25 inch up to 3.25.  My best spoon this year has been a 3.25 R&R Superlite w/Black Edge and Mirage Diamond with Gold UV cup.  I just had Dave do up so more for me plus a Grape edge and a Green edge model to try some more flavors.  With spoons never just buy one!    

IMG_0737.JPG

IMG_0789.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 9:23 AM, mr 580 said:

Scorpions catch fish but tend to suffer from a common Stinger problem of paint adhesion.  Number of good choices in spoons with Silver Streak, Moonshine, Warrior, Dreamweaver Super Slim having good product.  It is nice to have a mix of size from the small 2.25 inch up to 3.25.  My best spoon this year has been a 3.25 R&R Superlite w/Black Edge and Mirage Diamond with Gold UV cup.  I just had Dave do up so more for me plus a Grape edge and a Green edge model to try some more flavors.  With spoons never just buy one!    

IMG_0737.JPG

IMG_0789.JPG

Contact info for Dave at R&R Tackle from Johnson City, NY is 607-729-5711 and [email protected].  Make sure you specify the 3.25 Superlight blank in Black Mirage Diamond with Gold U/V cup as it is a custom blank and not on his website.  I also get Dave’s spoons with just split rings so I add my own treble for walleye.  Dave normally uses single hooks for trout and salmon.  Dave does great paint work and his spoons have a decent price.  He is a one man show so orders can get tied up with him at busy times.

• 2 months later...

like already said above the scorpion spoon has a paint problem. just a few fish and you need to change it out. but they do catch fish. I tried the gale force tackle spoons and they caught just as many fish without losing paint.

we are pretty much rookies. we was fishing erie's central basin in july. we used gale force jawbreaker, dr death, reverse muffin, then 3 scorpion spoons on the other side. we ran 6 divers 2.8 to 3.0 mph. it took 4 3/4 hrs to get our 5 mon limit. jawbreaker caught a third of the fish. and the one jawbreaker was all we had. vicki at gale force had sent it to me as a sample with my order. this next yr I'm going to start with 3 jawbreaker spoons on one side of my boat. then dr death on the other side with a couple of scorpion spoons on the other side.

I like the size of the gale force small spoons or scorpion sized spoons. another good reason for gale force spoons is the price of 4.50 where most other spoons cost more. plus the paint is bullet proof.

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics