Fears of failure rise as Lake Erie consumes Sturgeon Point Marina - Buffalo News

STWA

Idlewood Yacht Club. Steam yachts from Buffalo serviced the estates along the shoreline since the lakeshore road had no bridge over the creek. Marine travel was the most convenient way rather than a horse drawn buggy over mud roads. At the turn of the century Buffalo was the second richest city in the USA. The Kellog Estate and Grandview Bay also had docks.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

The money can come from your boat registrations and sales taxes you pay. Nothing has happened here for a long time but we need something now. The state taxing agencies and boat registrations will give you the numbers. Our local legislators will know more if you contact them with our concerns. We have lost Woodlawn Beach for boat launching. Hamburg town boat ramp silts up quickly every year. Sturgeon Point Harbor is falling apart and needs a lot of annual dredging. Driving to the Cattaraugus Creek is time consuming also.

• Like 1

Idlewood Yacht Club. Steam yachts from Buffalo serviced the estates along the shoreline since the lakeshore road had no bridge over the creek. Marine travel was the most convenient way rather than a horse drawn buggy over mud roads. At the turn of the century Buffalo was the second richest city in the USA. The Kellog Estate and Grandview Bay also had docks.

Didn’t realize that you were so old

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Didn’t realize that you were so old

I fished and learned about the mouth of Eighteen Mile Creek sixty five years ago. The Ramsey estate owned most of Creek bottom area along with a major bank here in Erie County. There was a concrete building and a concrete winch base on the west side of the creek.

I fished and learned about the mouth of Eighteen Mile Creek sixty five years ago. The Ramsey estate owned most of Creek bottom area along with a major bank here in Erie County. There was a concrete building and a concrete winch base on the west side of the creek.

Thanks for the info

SP has approximately 217 slips estimated annual revenue from these slips at approximately $1200 average give you over $260,000 annually. This does not include rent from Connors Hot Dog Stand, daily launch fees, proceeds from worm/ice sales etc. so subtract 90k (dredging) from 260k which leaves $170k again not including rent etc. unless the guys working the launch are really raking it in. This seems like a profitable venture to me.......

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The State of New York collects millions of dollars annually from boating , fishing, recreational users that use Sturgeon Point Marina but dumps its costs onto the Town of Evans. Registrations for boats and trailers, sales taxes from them along with other marine equipment, also with fishing licenses, fuel taxes, etc. yet we have a great fishing opportunity here on Lake Erie. All our fees disappear in the “black hole” called Albany. The Town of Evans is having difficulty funding its police department yet boaters will have to bail things out. Let your legislators in Albany assume the costs of the Marina operation and maintaining the facility since they have the funding from all of our boating communities.

Yes they did get a grant for 1.2 million but to repair existing walls and dredging.This just another temporary fix wall needs an extension to protect channel from sand movement.Also why does the NYSDEC make them deposit the dredged sand where the West /SW wind pushed waves just push it back into the channel?
When they dredge Dunkirk the material is taken way out into Lake Erie.To really fix and reconstruct Sturgeon Point Cuomo needs to cough up 25 million!

Good news just heard
Evans recent a 1.2 million dollar grant to repair the harbor

Sent from my SM-G960U using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Yes they did get a grant for 1.2 million but to repair existing walls and dredging.This just another temporary fix wall needs an extension to protect channel from sand movement.Also why does the NYSDEC make them deposit the dredged sand where the West /SW wind pushed waves just push it back into the channel?
When they dredge Dunkirk the material is taken way out into Lake Erie.To really fix and reconstruct Sturgeon Point Cuomo needs to cough up 25 million!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Lake Erie United Mobile App

That will never happen. He would rather line his cronies pockets with more projects like Tesla

• 3 weeks later...

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics