Downrigger Techniques

I only started fishing Lake Erie using a downrigger last summer. I use a Chamberlain Release set up so the smallest walleye would set it off. I have caught quite a few walleye by releasing my crawler harness from the cannonball and slowly retrieving it, stopping for 5 or 6 seconds and then continuing while my boat is travelling at 1.8 mph. Yesterday I took my neighbor fishing for several hours and were successful using this technique. I usually run my crawler harness 50 - 75 feet behind the cannonball. Has anyone else tried this?

I only started fishing Lake Erie using a downrigger last summer. I use a Chamberlain Release set up so the smallest walleye would set it off. I have caught quite a few walleye by releasing my crawler harness from the cannonball and slowly retrieving it, stopping for 5 or 6 seconds and then continuing while my boat is travelling at 1.8 mph. Yesterday I took my neighbor fishing for several hours and were successful using this technique. I usually run my crawler harness 50 - 75 feet behind the cannonball. Has anyone else tried this?
Used to fish that way for years. I would run the ball right to the bottom, troll for a while, pop the lure off. I figured it would bounce off the bottom a few times as the line was getting taught. Then I'd slowly reel it in. Caught many fish that way, usually with a worm harness on.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That technique has been effective for years- used to call it “fluttering””- works well with spoons too and various lead lengths.  Good way to grab some extra fish when bite slows.  Just take out slack and let lure ride up through the water column.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Yes I flutter spoons often. Usually good for a few fish every time out.

That technique has been effective for years- used to call it “fluttering””- works well with spoons too and various lead lengths.  Good way to grab some extra fish when bite slows.  Just take out slack and let lure ride up through the water column.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Erie United Mobile App

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics