Fuel question

rs12474

Just recently bought my first Erie boat. It is a '98 Sportcraft with a 5.7L Volvo. Previous original owner used marine gas all but one time over the 20 years he owned it. What's the difference in marine gas vs. Regylar highway gas. I have a trailer and take the boat out every time I use it. Is it ok the use non ethanol high octane pump gas instead of marine gas? Big $ difference....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Lake Erie United Mobile App

My boat never sees fuel with ethanol in it, and it is made to handle it. I always go for ethanol free, even if I have to pay more at the marina. I won't trust my $15,000 motor with regular pump gas. 

The problem I see is, the price of ethanol-free is going up as the demand is going up. It used to be 20 cents higher, now it is 50 cents higher per gallon. As the government allows us to buy what we want, they realize there is money to be made. 

Try getting ethanol free in Indiana though, the gov't keeps bailing out farmers by allowing the ethanol plants to produce an abundance. 

I run a mercruiser 5.7 in my old 86 boat. I don't have and non ethanol gas in my area. so I've been running pump gas in it for about 10 yrs now. the only problem I've had was it was used 1 time in 2016 then parked in the pole barn. wasnt used at all last yr. I didnt put stabil in in 2016 but added it in 2017. the boat started right up and idled good. but when I got her on erie and gave it throttle it started to backfire. with each  new tank of gas it got better. we fished for 4 days on erie and filled up 4 times. by the 4th day it didnt backfire. this yr I added marine stabil to the gas and after it had time to get mixed in good I added stabil and run the motor until I knew it filled the gas line.

I have a 1986 Tiara Open 3600. A few years ago the marina I get fuel from changed from ethanol free to "street gas". I verified all of my hoses we're ethanol compliant and have been running it ever since. I have twin Crusader 454's with a Onan 6.5kw generator. No issues thus far, I do ensure that that the fuel is treated over the winter. It gets burned fast enough over the summer.

But one thing I have been told is not to mix fuels...

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics