The mighty Niagara 2018

Jim K

1 hour ago, Pequod1 said:

Pretty cool. One question - Where were the gobies?

First, thank you everyone for your kind comments. 

Goby populations, like all other fish, fluctuate. This seems to be a down year for all baitfish. I see some gobies, but not many. The emerald shiner run was sparse as well. I think this might be why fishing's so good this summer.  Good numbers of gamefish, not a lot of forage. Our baits look good to hungry fish.

23 hours ago, jimski2 said:

The Ontario record walleye was taken from Thompson Hole in 1943. It weighed 23 pounds. Caught by a shore fisherman and witnessed by many.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

That's wild water. I dove it few times when I was a bit younger. We might see any kind of fish that lives in lake Erie. You go in a circle. It was fun, but a bit dangerous. The backdraft held the most gamefish.  Mounds of dead zebra mussel shells washed up out of the hole like sand dunes. The fish held between them. The bottom of that hole is over 60 ft deep.  

Wondering just where this was filmed (don't give your hot spot away) . At the mouth of the river , out in the lake, near the round house ??  I had a friend that use to dive near the round house & always said people wouldn't believe the numbers & size of the fish in that area.

50 minutes ago, lineman49 said:

Wondering just where this was filmed (don't give your hot spot away) . At the mouth of the river , out in the lake, near the round house ??  I had a friend that use to dive near the round house & always said people wouldn't believe the numbers & size of the fish in that area.

Further down river

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow! Thanks for sharing this!! It was mesmerizing! I am not familiar with the Niagara river besides being a tourist from Ohio. I was always under the impression that there would be a very strong current.... most of my diving has been in tropical parts of the ocean.... the few fresh water dives I did I have very little recollection of...

It was really neat to see how the fish hold to the bottom... nothing like I had imagined.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

• 3 weeks later...

4 hours ago, Those eyes said:

Great footage, wished more people would do this Question, why were some of the bass black while others were a pale green?

I really don't know. I see some with black patches as well. Maybe just genetics, but I'm guessing.

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics