Casting for Eastern Basin Walleyes

I'm wondering if anyone ever tries drifting / casting weight forward spinners or mayfly rigs for walleye in NY water?........ seems with so many fish around, it might be a fun experiment. Anybody ever try it? It used to be the popular method in the Western basin, but I've never seen it done here............

In the 70's thats how we got them. Drift with weighted earie dearies or yellow sally and spinner. Trolling tactics were early season flatlining rapalas at night. Last year I tried this late season where you could get your limit trolling in a couple hours. We picked up walleye but we also picked up plenty of sheephead and white perch. But there are so many walleye now that you'll pick them up....provided you get down to them....we used heavy slip sinkers. But you'll also get plenty of trash....take lots of worms...;)

Sent from my LGL62VL using Lake Erie United Mobile App

When I try for perch starting in late August, I use a 3/4-1oz buckshot spoon on the bottom instead of a sinker. It seems that every time out we land an eye or two on this set up. It is usually tipped with an emerald. The best luck with this technique has been straight out of Dunkirk. Funny thing though, the eyes have all come early in the morning. Never got one like this after around 8:30 or so.

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics