Planer Board Releases

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I've used the shower curtain rings and skinny rubber bands, and they don't even break. I'm finding it hard to detect strikes off the big boards, because the rubber bands don't break, and rod is bouncing and bucking with the waves. Any ideas?

I would suggest buying carabiner's or shower curtain rings in bulk and using rubber bands. Cheap and easy. If the lake is rough, use two rubber bands to make one longer one to handle the wave surge.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Easiest solution is to buy lighter rubber bands.  Tackle shops have bags of red rubber bands for walleye fishing-try those.  Or you could try going to releases and there are all kinds of choices- satisfaction seems to be a personal choice when it comes to release style.  Don’t think you will find anything that will release 100% on the smaller walleye, but you should see your rod “load” .

I've used the shower curtain rings and skinny rubber bands, and they don't even break. I'm finding it hard to detect strikes off the big boards, because the rubber bands don't break, and rod is bouncing and bucking with the waves. Any ideas?

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Erie United Mobile App

I run my big boards off of trees. I can usually read the rod tips to determine which if any rod has a fish on it. One thing we do, especially when it's rough is to half hitch two rubber bands together to make one long one. Then use that. It'll stretch really long if there is a fish on that rod. The downside is if it's not rough or your boards don't pull strong enough, they are hard to break or trip.

Another tip is to troll faster! Makes reading the rods much easier.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics