Cattaragus

My wife and neighbor lady would love that. They don't like trolling, but that's the only way I've been able to get them. Maybe we will try it. Jigging? On the drift? Thanks.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Erie United Mobile App

IMG_1910.HEIC
Picked up a three man limit in 33 min
Yesterday at Sturgeon pt. Never caught that many in so short of time. All caught bottom bouncing. Dragging bait on bottom. It didn’t mater what color. They were on the feed

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United Mobile App

jigging rapalas, jigging spoons, mr twisters, blade baits, just drifting along (and deploying a drift sock when needed to keep in contact with the bottom)  or slow trolling 3 way rigs with bottom bouncers and worm harnesses. Nothing beats feeling the hit and setting the hook!

Edited by H20chrome

Went this morning seeing as it’s gunna get rough the next few days. Had about 3 hrs before work. Fished 630-830 2 man limit on sticks at 2mph halfway to Dunkirk 70-85 ft deep fishing 60 ft down. Most on two rods with leadcore and 1 fish on Dipsy straight down on 0. Lots of fish marked still at 50-65 ft down. Hopefully this bite hangs around after this rough weather. 

• Like 1

Hard to say. Just about equal.  SOG was around 2.2.  I always use one dicey with wire set at 2 1/2 and the other side has mono set at 3.  If I had a bigger boat, I would probably run 4 dipseys and forget the lead core just because it is easier for me.

• Like 1

I've been fishing that same area off the Catt,  2 riggers with worm harnesses & 2 dipseys with Renoskys. I don't have any rods with lead core. The worm harnesses catch the most fish, only one on the Renosky. SOG was 1.8 most of the time, but I did try 2.0 ,  2.2 and 2.4 for about 15 minutes each. Maybe I didn't give it enough time. I just can't get the Renoskys to work for me as well as i'd like. Thanks for the info.

Great sharing on info.  A couple of weeks ago, I posted that I could not get a fish on the renoskis. Everything on the harnesses.  The trick is to go “ cold turkey” . Run all plugs/ spoons and kick up the speed. I had a lot of hits on turns too. That tells me they plugs were going faster or slower than the 2"2average speed depending on the turn.

I think I'll try the "cold turkey" approach. If I go on the main motor instead of the electric, i can idle about 2.4 SOG minimum, but  I'll try different speeds too. I usually can't drive straight so the turns may help the bite. i'll run all cranks for a few hours and see what happens. if that doesn't produce, I'll go back on the electric and worm harnesses.

Renoskis some times leak and get water in them which changes the action. You can't tell unless u r using the clear ones.

I never liked the wiggle of bay rats or challenger minnows. I now buy shallow diving Bomber long A's from Cabelas or fish USA.

They have great action and nice color selection. Still use my renoskis, but ain't buying anymore.

You may also be under the fish with the divers. Lots of variables. Line type, diameter, speed, line out, lip size on crank, o ring. I was under the fish for a while bc I run braid on Dipsy and I had to bring it up a bit. Then I started catching a few. Leadcore still outperforms it but I get probably 1 on Diver to every 3 on leadcore. I normally run 2-2.3

Like thumburn says, it just doesn't seem to matter these days. I just bought a fruity crush, that looks killer but haven't got it wet yet. Next calm day.

I run them off dipsey's, lead core and down riggers.

All work.

I stay away from running sticks on jets, because if you get one that pulls hard enough, it will flip the jet over and you will be dragging it on the surface and not  know unless it's a calm day and you need to pay attention. Done it more than once.

Deep diving Bomber long A's used to be my go to stick in the old days, but they will flip a jet every time. I just long line them on the boards.

Ace

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics