Walleye Buffalo Small Boat Harbor- 2018 Reports

Taking my brother in law and 12 year old nephew out on Sunday (for the fist time walleye fishing).  Any suggestions as to where to go/ launch, colors and depth would be greatly appreciated.

Tony
I suggest launching at SBH, gong out to 35 to 40 FOW, and trolling west towards sturgeon point. When you catch a Walleye save the waypoints. After a while you will have a number of waypoints you can keep trolling over, and should be able to catch more. If you catch nothing, circle out to 55 to 60 FOW. This will be my Saturday. I will post results when we come in. We have had most luck on 5 color lead cores. Also a slide diver with long lead, 30 feet behind the diver. our best lure by far has been a perch colored jointed rapala. We have also caught well on a eye-fish harness in watermelon color, and some on spoons. If you have downriggers, the best way to get a bite is to jerk the rod, breaking the line from the release, and let the spoon flutter up to the surface. This is very effective when you find a concentration of walleyes. They can't resist it. When they are scattered, not as effective, since you are not likely to have a Walleye nearby when you decide to flutter; hit and miss. Hope this helps.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 4

Was out solo today and limited out . LOTS of boat traffic now. Lost some today as I was fighting another fish. Hard to catch 2 fish at once and control boat.I stayed away from the pack. Flicker minnows in the early AM then harnesses later in morning. Anywhere from 20-35 feet down in 40-50 fow. 1.8-2.0 for the sticks and 1.5-1.7 on the harnesses.

• Like 3

Going out on Friday. Going to use cranks exclusively around the windmills Seneca Shoal etc. Might try a couple of stingers off the riggers and reef runners off boards. First time out (fishing Erie). Not sure how slow my 19 ft. IO will troll. I will report back in the evening with pics if I get anything.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Lake Erie United Mobile App

Boated 4 between 7 and 9 lost a monster at the boat while dealing with a double. Downrigger at 27ft. With a Berkeley Flickr. Others on reef runners flatlined. Between 22 and 24in. Will post later the pics are on my buddies phone.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 1

Fished off the windmills yesterday in around 40 feet of water from 11am until 230pm. Blanked out until 1pm when the breeze picked up and all the sudden went nuts for 45 minutes. Caught 4 walleyes and a bonus bass. Two of the walleyes came from popping spoons off the rigger, and the other two came on firetiger worm harness fished off medium dipsey 150 feet back. I think I'll try again Monday. The largest was  7.5 pounder and the smallest was around 17 inches. Nice day to be on the water. 

• Like 1

7/14. Slower day today. Had to work for them. Caught 7 . Depth was from 40 to 58 FOW, we trolled all over. Caught on 5 color leadcores with rapalas. One on downrigger on spoon. One on a drop shot curly tail jig, when we decided to try drifting for a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Sun 6:00am-11:00am We got 10 keepers & 3 throwbacks in 50-55ft. Only one +25 inch, other nine, 15-20 inches. All on variety of harnesses. No standout color.  Downrigger 40-50ft and 6/7 colors.  7 color was best.

Edited by ws6rufus
  • Like 1

Wow.  Sow day for me today out of SBH.  Trolled sticks on lead core .  Two keepers and 5 sheep.   I covered a ton of water looking for fish.  Didn't see much.  Full moon?  (that' at least the excuse I'm using)   Made it all the way out in front of Sturgeon Pt.  

A bit of a rant....   I'm the only boat within sight...  how the hell does somebody pull up right up your ass.   I mean he was probably on top of my sticks.   Then proceed to stay right on my port.  Way too close.   Was pinched in between him in the line.    Normally  I don't let this stuff bother me.  Part of the deal.  But what the hell.  Not a single other boat in sight.  Every time I worked away he came in.   Crazy!   

I agree.  No prob sharing info and working an area together.  I'm definitely not one of those guys that thinks he owns the lake.  Some days are busy, sometimes you just make a mistake, it happens.  But when you have choices, be observant out there.   Especially pinching the other guy into another boat, or in my case I was up against the line and stuck.   But anyhow, enough of that rant.  

Was a slow day in areas that have been good.  Most marks I did see were pretty tight to the bottom.  Only ran 3 and 5 color.  Might be time to start running deeper.  Time to adjust.  

I was out Sunday morning trolling 4 dipseys and one 3 color down the middle all with sticks.  Caught 1 sheep and 1 keeper on a perch patterned Rapala Shadow Rap, Deep .  I was trolling just inside the USA line and I had a big boat catch up to me from behind on my port and kept pushing me closer and closer to the Canadian side.  After about 45 minutes of this nonsense, he finally backed off and I turned south.  It was busy and if I had caught up to him, I would had given him the leeway, but it was the opposite in my case.  For me, it's just me and my 7 year old son, so I have to set rods and keep the boat straight at the same time.  It gets a little hectic if there is a lot of traffic.  I really didn't mark much until the very end after I pulled and stored all the rods and we where ready to leave.  Of course.....that's just how it goes.

• 3 weeks later...

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics