Walleye Buffalo Small Boat Harbor- 2018 Reports

Hard To believe!  So I get a call from my buddy Saturday evening around 7 pm.  He tells me his son & grand daughter are out in front of the wind mills broke down . He thinks engine coupler is gone bad. So he asks me if I could take my boat & go get him of course I said yes.  I asked if his son tried calling for help on the radio or waving his red flag which he did but no one offered any help!  We get to the SMB & there are people(fishermen) coming in putting their boats on the trailers, Then we get out by the wind mills & there are 8-10 boats fishing right around his son  & not 1 person offered any help before we got there!  I just find this hard to believe that no one would not take a 1/2 hour out of their fishing to tow this son & grand daughter or anyone  that was broken down into the dock when the sun was going down!  If I am not mistaken  it is a law that you are required to help a boat in distress !  Come on guys get with the program!   By the way we all got  in safe! Rant over.

Edited by lineman49
  • Like 2

Props to you lineman! I would say I can’t believe they all ignored them but I’m not surprised. Its one dog one bone these days. One day the shoe will be on the other foot for those that ignored them. Karma’s a bitch! Glad they got back in safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

Had a similar situation on Sodus Bay a few years ago on opening day of bass season. I broke down and I ended up rowing the boat in after the trolling motor killed the battery. Not one person stopped. Boats all over. Way to help out lineman

Twenty-three years ago I towed a boat from Point Abino on the Canadian side to Buffalo Harbor. I could have dropped him off at the yacht club a half mile away, but his car and trailer were on the American side. I'm retired Navy, you never ignore a boater in distress.

• Like 2

Did they call out to other people? Just wondering if others thought the were just anchored? Maybe being dark out they couldn't tell. Not saying someone out there shouldn't have helped. It's a zoo out there at times and hard to tell someone might be in trouble.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

It's not hard to tell if someone is broke down if they use their distress flares. I towed a boat from 8 miles out in front of Dunkirk during a hot walleye bite a few years ago. They were using their flares and I could not ignore them. They had called the Sheriffs but they had not showed up yet. Half way back to port the Sheriffs showed up and took over the tow. They offered money but I told them to pay it forward if they ever saw someone in distress. Went right back to the hot bite area and finished our limit. Good karma comes from doing the right thing. Too many d**kwads out on this lake.

• Like 4

Funny story so I bought a new to me boat located in Oswego plan was to drive boat from Oswego to olcott. So we drop truck off in olcott buddy drives me and dad to boat in Oswego. We end up not leaving harbor till to 2 pm. So we finally get going   all excited for the ride and a mile into our 110 mile trip there is a broke down boat. Out of all the times a little annoyed not at the broke down boaters but of the circumstances. I was like dad if we don’t tow them in we will be broke down somewhere around Rochester. We towed them back to Oswego river were a smaller boat helped bring them into dock. Made it to Olcott by dark and all was fine only issue with new to me boat needed one impeller. Every switch, pump and accessory works. Bought it seen on site so that I believe was are Karma. 95 percent of people help others in need. Teach your kids to do the same only way to eliminate these issues of inconsiderance. 

I must have a selfish side because if I see someone in need a few days before a tourney. I’ll drive you over trying to help someone just for the extra karma.

632D3778-941B-4E1F-BECC-5A37D616D285.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dukhnter8 said:

Did they call out to other people? Just wondering if others thought the were just anchored? Maybe being dark out they couldn't tell. Not saying someone out there shouldn't have helped. It's a zoo out there at times and hard to tell someone might be in trouble.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Erie United Mobile App

It wasn't dark yet. It didn't get dark until we were putting the boats on the trailers at the launch.    Thanks to everyone for the comments, I really was not looking for a pat on the back, I just could not believe no one helped them.  I myself have been towed in twice over the years & was very grateful for the help.

Ok great. I am also disappointed that everyone ignored the disabled boaters. But, HOW WAS THE FISHING OUT OF SBH? Sounds like quite a few people are out, but only a couple have provided any reports. C'mon guys, there's lots of ways to help your fellow fishermen, giving a tow, and providing a fishing report are several. It helps those who are trying to plan a trip. Thanks in advance, and again Kudos to those who help others. The Golden rule!

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lineman49 said:

It wasn't dark yet. It didn't get dark until we were putting the boats on the trailers at the launch.    Thanks to everyone for the comments, I really was not looking for a pat on the back, I just could not believe no one helped them.  I myself have been towed in twice over the years & was very grateful for the help.

Gotcha, then the other people were dicks. Sucks but more and more people are like that.

I have been towed in once and have had people ask if I was ok when messing with the motor and had the cover off. But never been able to pay it forward on the lake. Last winter I did pull two snowmobiles out of the ditch as I was coming home from ice fishing.

• Like 1

Every year I always tow a couple people in when we are out on the crusier 33ft. Its just like a boating rule to help ppl out.

Did fish sunday morning, lots of boats out till the wind picked up. Fished the windmills again managed 6 kept 4. Lost a couple and got our first sheap head of the year. Fish are starting to push a little deeper but there still out there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Lake Erie United Mobile App

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, PizzaGuy said:

Walleye are loaded in front of the windmills from the south gap all the way to the Ford plant.  Bottom bouncing in 36'-38' of water got me an easy limit.  I did throw a bunch of 14" fish back.

Great I hope to get out there Saturday.

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics