Dunkirk walleye opener.

5af38d885edb7_DennisandmewithWalleyes.thumb.jpg.b748252a28678c6e2b792bf728c05595.jpgHowdy fellas, my name is John Kelley and I hail from South Dakota.  I have been working an and off in upstate NY since 2012, but have been focusing most of my free time concentrating on Lake Ontario, since I can always catch as many walleyes as I want when I am home.  I decided to go fishing with my good friend Ed Ball and our good mutual friend Dennis Walter on Saturday, though, and check out the spring shallow water night bite on Lake Erie.  We had a pretty good go of it, and returned to the truck at midnight to offload our Saturday limit of 18 nice male walleyes.  We then headed back out to our waypoint after 1:00 a.m., and caught our sunday limit of 18 nice, male walleyes by 5:00 a.m.  We were fishing west of Dunkirk.  Water was very colored with low visibility. All our fish were between 19-26" long, and no females in the group.  All the fish were milting, or still had milt in them, so the spawn looks like it is right about in the middle.  The big females ought to be hungry pretty soon, I am thinking.  The lake was like glass all night, so it was awesome for boat control.  Not a bad first outing for me on Lake Erie, but all I had to do was set lines and reel and net fish all night.  Captain Ed drove us right over all the hungry fish!!  I am not at liberty to say what the magic lure, depth, or waypoint was, because it was not my boat, and I don't want to betray my friends.  Great night of fishing, though. I also posted this in the Introduction section.  Hope you enjoy the pics.

3 man 2 day limit on Erie.jpg

Dennis and Ed with our limit.jpg

On Ed Ball's boat on lake erie.jpg

Edited by John Kelley
adding pic
  • Like 2

Species

Open Season

Minimum Length

Daily Limit

Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout (including Steelhead), Coho Salmon, Chinook Salmon

All year

12″

3 in any combination

Lake Trout

All year

12″

Northern Pike

1st Sat In May through March 15

22″

Walleye

1st Sat In May through March 15

15″

Muskellunge, Tiger Muskellunge

3rd Sat in June through Nov 30

54″

Yellow Perch, Sunfish

All year

Any size

50 of each

Black Bass

December 1 through the Fri preceding the 3rd Sat in June

20″

3rd Sat in June through Nov 30

12″

Lake Sturgeon

Closed

Possession Prohibited

They did nothing wrong. Read the reg. highlighted in red. Perfectly legal. Ed Ball has been guiding for years and I'm sure he is well aware of the rules. Let's put tis discussion to bed!

Transportation of fish is permitted as follows:

Fish caught in New York State

• No more than two days’ legal take of nonsalable fish may be transported unless a permit is obtained from a DEC Regional Office, or the fish are frozen, processed and packaged for storage.
  • Smelt, suckers, alewives, and blueback herring taken by dip nets (Tidal Hudson River Regulations) or angling, and suckers taken by spearing, may be transported overland by motorized vehicle for consumption purposes only. Once those species are transported away from the water body, they may not be transported back to any water body for use as bait.
  • Salable fish may be transported in any number.
  • Baitfish transportation regulations can be found on Baitfish Regulations.

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 7:01 AM, John Kelley said:

" We had a pretty good go of it, and returned to the truck at midnight to offload our Saturday limit of 18 nice male walleyes"

Sounds like that's what they did Jim

I was stopped by an ECO officer who claimed I had two day limit is ducks. At the check in station, mine and my driver who was parking the car. My saving moment was they were tied together on separate strings. Basically there were six days catch there in the back of the truck that could be cited. Separate coolers and stringers or bags would help explain the catch.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Erie United

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Smoke-n-Finn said:

So you got your limit two days in a row but didn't clean them, the first day, ? Didn't read the other post where you dropped off a limit.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I read the whole thing, he did state they dropped the fish off and went back out. I see nothing wrong with it.

You must be logged in to view content

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Topics

Hot Topics